The Daylights & Andy Davis – 2011 No Reverse Tour
Wow... so it's closing in on November already. 2011 is going by in a blaze... just like every other year.
The older I get, the more I realize how quickly the time flies. It's like the week of summer camp on a grand scale: Monday would always seem to take FOR-EH-VAH and you'd be digging every moment. Then the next morning you'd wake up and have to pack up because it was somehow already Saturday and time to go home. In between was a blur of pool cannonballs, water balloons, awkward "check yes or no" notes, clumsy arts & crafts, an overturned jeep, and silly string draped over EVERYTHING.
Good times, good times... but I digress.
This coming Monday I'll be heading out again with The Daylights on the 2011 No Reverse Tour co-headlining with one of my favorite Nashville artists, Andy Davis. I'm still trying to get myself mentally prepared to hop in a van with 5 other dudes for a full month, but am very much looking forward to another run of shows and all the shining faces (both new and familiar) that we'll get to see along the way.
In case you haven't already seen it, here's the tour promo video we shot at the lodge last week:
Things to note:
- the champagne cork is actually from a bottle of whiskey... the original cork got lost during a previous take when Ricky shook the bottle too much and it exploded over the entire room... including my camera...
- the tour poster that Andy crumples up was probably the 9th or 10th victim in a barrage of prints destroyed during practice. thankfully you can't see the graveya...err... tidy pile of discarded props hidden in the next room
- listen closely while the drinks are being poured and see if you can decipher what Ran is singing (plus SOMEBODY's botched note in the BGVs during)
- we made Svend cut the fireworks down practically to a nub so he didn't burn the house the down. When he came out of my room with a big grin on his face and one of the 2 foot long sparklers we had picked up on the last tour, I knew things had just gotten real
- listen closely again during the camera's sweep pass around Andy after the champagne toasting and you can totally hear me bump into the mic stand while trying to navigate around everything
- Laura Bell Bundy had walked in about 3 minutes prior to this take and was immediately promoted to lighting director (somewhat against her will) in charge of the strobic effect in the 2nd half of the video
I'm pretty stoked at how the tour poster itself turned out. Ricky hand sketched the various elements before handing them off to me to be photographed, cropped, and composited together. The tour dates (minus Green Bay and Columbus shows) are listed below and the guys are giving away a free tour poster with purchase of a presale ticket. If we're coming to your area, definitely grab one and come say hi! Should be a great run of shows from both the Daylights and Andy.
Oct 24 - Las Vegas, NV - The Royal House
Oct 26 - Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue - http://tinyurl.com/43gvhb9
Oct 29 - Roswell, NM - Pecos - http://tinyurl.com/3msa8zu
Oct 27 - Denver, CO - The Soiled Dove - http://tinyurl.com/3fxr59s
Nov 2 - Dallas, TX - HOB Cambridge Room - http://tinyurl.com/3fpxu4a
Nov 3 - Corpus Christi, TX - House of Rock - http://tinyurl.com/5w4bze3
Nov 4 - San Antonio, TX - 502 Bar - http://tinyurl.com/3v2umcj
Nov 5 - Austin, TX - Emo's - http://tinyurl.com/daylightsAustin
Nov 10 - Nashville, TN - Exit/In - http://tinyurl.com/6znyrdv
Nov 15 - New York, NY - Mercury Lounge - http://tinyurl.com/6gjzk35
Nov 21 - Chicago, IL - Schubas Tavern - http://www.schubas.com
The Hotel Cafe residency shows from the past month were such a blast as well with various guest musicians sitting in. I thought the guys really pushed the envelope (in a good way) on their second show with a very different array of tunes and an accompaniment of string players. April (cello) and Paul (violin) stopped by the house a couple days before that show to rehearse. I shot a few quick images while they were here and thought I'd share a couple.
We leave Monday for Vegas. Praying for safe travels and hoping to see you out on the road sometime in the next month!